Making dad's Irish Coffee

During our last Kroger pickup order I put a bottle of heavy whipping cream in the cart. (Step one complete).

On our last trip to Jungle Jim's I went to the liquor store and picked up a bottle of Bushmill's Irish Whiskey.  (Step two complete).

I now had everything we needed to make Irish coffee. (Because we already had coffee and sugar).

For many years our family took vacations at a cabin at Oglebay Park in Wheeling. At some point we started a tradition: Dad would make us an Irish Coffee (or two) for breakfast.

This year I decided to bring the tradition back for Christmas morning.

But before we could bring the tradition back, we had to test it out - quality control is important (when day drinking is involved).


The recipe:

First I had to make the whipping cream. I did it while Beth was getting her shower.

I did it by hand with a whisk. Never again!  

Don't do it with a whisk! I don't care if that's what's on the side of the heavy whipping cream bottle. If you have a hand mixer use that. 

Beth said "Don't you remember how your dad used to bring the hand mixer to Oglebay?" (I didn't remember that until she told me). 

Following that, the recipe was as follows:

  • One (or two) packets of sugar in the raw. You can also use brown sugar (that's what I put in mine).
  • One (or two) shots of Irish whiskey.
  • One k-cup of coffee.

Stir the coffee until the sugar is fully dissolved. Then add the whipping cream on top.


It. Was. Amazing.


Later I called mom. She told me that dad had used a whisk once - and said never again.

As far as the recipe went I was close, but she had two suggestions.

  1. After whipping the cream, add a tablespoon of refined sugar to the whipping cream.
  2. And add less about a teaspoon of vanilla (also to the whipping cream).
The above changes can only be done after the cream is fully whipped. Adding them before it's fully whipped could mess up the formation, or whip-ability, or whatever you call it.

Also, and I remember this from dad, you hand mix it until you get points in the heavy cream when you pull the mixer out.

Is the new recipe better? We will find out on Christmas Day!



 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Monday Stress Buster - Walk on the Beach

Monday Stress Buster - Slow Down

Most days I love my home office.